Saturday, December 5, 2009

Swimming competitions. This one has been my first.

Swim meets are easily the best and worst events to possibly take up a week-end.

I mean, is it really necessessary for a 3 DAY meet? Do we really need to get up at 5 am three mornings ina row just to plow our cars through blowing snow all the way downtown [or from as far as Calgary] and then -mercilessly- be plunged into an icy pool for 'warm up'? I can't see the appeal, here. And yet... I do it.

There's just this feeling during it all: accomplishment. Even if your times aren't as hefty as you had hoped, you still feel as though you did your best for yourself and the team, and you enjoyed it. Yes, enjoyed it.

I was nervous [frightened, even] before my first race, but as soon as I was in the water, I wasn't worried anymore. In fact, it was basically everything inbetween the races that kept me in a total state of contempt for the very idea:

1. The warm-ups. What are they? Cruel exercises meant to prepare the swimmer's body for extreme physical exertion... in a pool of 600 other swimmers. I kid you not. I was kicked, scratched, shoved and made angry inumerable times. It was horrifying. Of course, I in turn returned the favors, but I hate warm up. So much.

2. Nothing to do but sit on hard, skinny benches or bleachers while your coccyx pleads for you to lend it a cushion and your mouth sucks the chlorine-filled air and humidity.

3. Watch the male swimmers and swoon while they breeze through a race. They always seem so perfect behind their excellent abs, but as soon as they open their mouths to speak they dash your dreams.

4. The stress. Before each race. Every time.

Apart from that, however, the races are great. I really enjoy myself. All I have left of this meet is tomorrow. I'll be glad when it's over, but pleased that I did my best.

2 comments:

  1. Hell on earth, to be sure.

    Well hey, at least there's cute boys to oogle... if only from a distance.

    So rare, the cute ones who also happen to have a brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like quiz meets, with wet, clinging semi-nudity.

    ReplyDelete